My home

This section is about living in a place that feels like a home for you and your children. Your home and how you and your children feel when you are there are important for your wellbeing. It should be somewhere where you feel safe, secure, warm and dry.  

Note: you have a right to housing which is suitable for you and your children (safe, not damp, not overcrowded). If you are facing any kind of housing issue, it’s important to get good advice as soon as you can. Examples of when you might need help include if you’re at risk of homelessness for any reason (for example relationship breakdown, domestic abuse, eviction for rent arrears), if there’s overcrowding or dampness, or if you need help with housing costs, housing arrears, furnishings and so on. Check you are receiving all the financial support you are entitled to if you are renting or if you own your home. You can find out more about housing rights from our Advice and Information Service.  

Parent Club’s family support directory has useful information and contacts to support parents with housing issues.

Collect your favourites

Tip: It’s easy to collect useful info as you go.

Wherever you see a heart icon click on it to save the page to ‘My favourites’. You can go to your favourites by clicking on the heart icon at the top right heart of this website. You can then save the info as a pdf or email it to yourself.

Please remember that your favourites will remain for a while but not for ever. For example, if you clear your browsing history you will lose your favourites.


Save to favourites

Find your favourites again

<!–If you’d like more information or any help with the sorts of things that single parents tell us affect their lives, visit our website . You can find other parents’ stories, answers to common questions and details of our counselling service, advice helpline, online chat and local support. If we can’t help, we can put you in touch with someone who can.–>

You’ll find lots of useful information about health and wellbeing here. If you need advice on issues such as welfare benefits, separation or child maintenance contact our Lone Parent Helpline or chat to us online.

If you need urgent help anytime

  • Phone the Samaritans: free helpline always open at 116 123.
  • Phone 999 if it’s an emergency (for example risk to your or someone else’s life).
  • If it’s a health issue (but not an emergency) phone NHS 24 on 111. More health info at NHS inform.