I think it’s good for single mums to volunteer as you get a wee hour to yourself to feel like you and not just a mum and get to socialise with customers and keep yourself in a wee routine.
When you do something you enjoy, it can make you feel better.
- Lots of parents find that they spend a lot of their time doing things they need to do, rather than things they want to do. It is hard finding the time for yourself, and to see how to fit things you enjoy doing into your life
- There are opportunities around. These can be simple and easy to fit around your children. They don’t need to cost. Even if it’s for only five minutes a day, it will make a difference
- It could be something that you used to do, before children, that you can take up again. Or, something new.
Visit the sections below for some ideas that have worked for other single parents.
Try to do something regularly that you can build into your life (but which doesn’t stress you). Options are things that:
- Are slightly sociable like going to the library or a café
- You can do on your own at home like reading or gaming or making
- Connect you with a friend like phoning or messaging or emailing
- Involve you in a group like a walking or cycling or book group
- You’ll enjoy learning, for example in class or workshop or online, such as a language or a sport or something creative
- Help others, such as volunteering